Alumni of the Faculty of Chemistry at the Warsaw University of Technology. She obtained her M.Sc. degree in chemical technology in 2008, Ph.D. degree in chemical sciences in 2012, and habilitation in biotechnology in 2018. Since 2019, she has been a Professor of the Warsaw University of Technology. Since 2016, she has been the Dean's Representative for Scientific Information. Since March 2022, Head of the Medical Biotechnology Department at the Centre for Advanced Materials and Technologies CEZAMAT. The head of five research grants: Iuventus Plus of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (2012-2014), LIDER of NCBiR (2014-2017), SONATA of NCN (2014-2018), SONATA BIS of NCN (from 2020) and OPUS of NCN (from 2022). Investigator in seven research grants funded by NCBiR, NCN, IDUB. was awarded a scientific travel scholarship to EPFL in Switzerland (2012) and awarded many national and international prizes given for scientific achievements, such as Scopus-Perspective Young Researcher Award (2011), START Scholarship of the Foundation for Polish Science (2012), Scholarship of the Minister and Higher Education for Young Scientists (2013), Tony B. Academic Travel Award (2010, 2011, 2013), The People Powering the 2018 SLAS Technology Ten award, several team awards from WUT Rector (2013-2020). She collaborates with various scientific institutions i.e., National Medicines Institute, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, and Nencki Institute. Supervisor of many master's and engineer theses and supervisor of six PhD theses carried out at the Faculty of Chemistry, Warsaw University of Technology. Since 2021 a member of The Chemical and Biological Microsystems Society (CBMS), an international association in chemical and biological microsystems. Author of many articles in reputed scientific journals, a book, 11 patents, and many reports and presentations at international conferences.
Research concerns the development of biomedical microsystems with applications in cell engineering and biotechnology, used to search for new therapies and the screening of new bioactive substances.
Research interests in particular include:
- In vitro cell culture in macroscale and microfluidic systems.
- Development of Heart-on-a-chip systems for cardiac cell analysis, simulation of disease states, and evaluation of stem cell applications in cardiotherapy.
- Development of a new three-dimensional model of gynecological cancers using Lab-on-a-chip systems, useful for studying cancer cell functions and toxicity tests.
- Investigation of newly developed compounds, nanomaterials, and analysis of selected anticancer therapies (e.g., photodynamic therapy) using in vitro cultures performed in microfluidic systems and macroscale.
- Development of advanced vascularised (Multi-)Organ-on-a-chip systems (i.e. heart, pancreas, lung, breast).
- Research on the application of polymeric biomaterials to fabricate Lab-on-a-chip systems.
- Kobuszewska A., Kołodziejek D., Wojasiński M., Jastrzębska E., Ciach T., Brzózka Z.: Lab-on-a-chip system integrated with nanofiber mats used as a potential tool to study cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), Sensors and Actuators B – Chemical, 330, 2021, 1-12, DOI:10.1016/j.snb.2020.129291
- Kobuszewska A., Kołodziejek D., Wojasiński M., Ciach T., Brzózka Z., Jastrzębska E.: Study of stem cells influence on cardiac cells cultured with a cyanide-p-trifluoromethoxyphenylhydrazone in Organ-on-a-Chip system, Biosensors, 11, 5, 2021, 1-14, DOI:10.3390/bios11050131
- Sokołowska P., Żukowski K., Janikiewicz J., Jastrzębska E., Dobrzyn A., Brzózka Z.: Islet-on-a-chip: Biomimetic micropillar-based microfluidic system for three-dimensional pancreatic islet cell culture, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 183, 2021, 1-8, DOI:10.1016/j.bios.2021.113215
- Flont M., Jastrzębska E., Brzózka Z.: A multilayered cancer-on-a-chip model to analyze the effectiveness of new-generation photosensitizers, Analyst, 145, nr 21, 2020, 6937-6947, DOI:10.1039/D0AN00911C
- Flont M., Jastrzębska E., Brzózka Z.: Synergistic effect of the combination therapy on ovarian cancer cells under microfluidic conditions, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1100, 2020, 138- 148, DOI:10.1016/j.aca.2019.11.047
- Sokołowska P., Janikiewicz J., Jastrzębska E., Brzózka Z., Dobrzyn A.: Combinations of regenerative medicine and Lab-on-a-chip systems: New hope to restoring the proper function of pancreatic islets in diabetes, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 167, 2020, 1-11, DOI:10.1016/j.bios.2020.112451
- Sokołowska P., Żukowski K., Lasocka I., Szulc-Dabrowska L., Jastrzębska E.: Human mesenchymal stem cell (hMSC) differentiation towards cardiac cells using a new microbioanalytical method, Analyst, 145, 2020, 3017-3028, DOI:10.1039/c9an02366f
- Chudy M., Tokarska K., Jastrzębska E., Bułka M., Drozdek S., Lamch Ł., Wilk K., Brzózka Z.: Lab-on-a-chip systems for photodynamic therapy investigations, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 101, 2018, 37-51, DOI:10.1016/j.bios.2017.10.013
- Tomecka E., Żukowski K., Jastrzębska E., Chudy M., Brzózka Z.: Microsystem with micropillar array for three- (gel-embaded) and two-dimensional cardiac cell culture, Sensors and Actuators B - Chemical, 254, 2018, 973-983, DOI:10.1016/j.snb.2017.07.186
- Tomecka E., Wojasiński M., Jastrzębska E., Chudy M., Ciach T., Brzózka Z.: Poly(l-lactic acid) and polyurethane nanofibers fabricated by solution blow spinning as potential substrates for cardiac cell culture, Materials Science & Engineering C - Materials for Biological Applications, 75, 2017, 305-316, DOI:10.1016/j.msec.2017.02.055
- Żuchowska A., Jastrzębska E., Chudy M., Dybko A., Brzózka Z.: 3D lung spheroid cultures for evaluation of photodynamic therapy (PDT) procedures in microfluidic Lab-on-a-Chip system, Analytica Chimica Acta, 990, 2017, 110-120, DOI:10.1016/j.aca.2017.07.009
- Jastrzębska E., Bułka M., Rybicka N., Żukowski K.: Analysis of the efficiency of photodynamic therapy using a microsystem for mono-, co- and mixed cultures, Sensors and Actuators B - Chemical, 221, 2015, 1356-1365, DOI:10.1016/j.snb.2015.08.022
- Sokołowska P., Żukowski K., Jastrzębska E., Janikiewicz J., Dobrzyn A., Brzózka Z.: Microfludic system for formation, culture and fluorescence imaging of 3D aggregates of pancreatic islets cells, (2021) Patent: PL 239354
- Flont M., Dybko A., Brzózka Z., Jastrzębska E., Żukowski K.: Microfluidc system for layered culture of normal and cancer cells (2020) Patent: PL 237494
- Jastrzębska E., Żuchowska A., Żukowski K., Chudy M., Dybko A., Brzózka Z.: Flow microsystem for the assessment of the efficacy of anticancer therapy procedures taking into account the size of spheroids and the presence of normal cells, (2020) Patent: PL 235424
- Żuchowska A., Żukowski K., Jastrzębska E., Chudy M., Dybko A., Brzózka Z.: Micro-batcher cartridge for testing efficiency of a therapy in the flow-through conditions, (2019) Patent: PL 234118