The work carried out in the Laboratory of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering includes the development of new solutions for the fabrication of tissue scaffolds, local delivery systems for bioactive substances (including drugs), and various types of structures based on biomaterials made of functional polymers, natural polymers, and composites, as well as metals, for the application in tissue engineering, regenerative and implantable medicine, and broadly defined biotechnology. The conducted activities focus on both the design and manufacture, as well as characterization of the physical and chemical properties of the obtained structures using advanced research techniques. Studies on their biocompatibility and their applicability in vitro are also carried out.
The conducted research concerns mainly:
- fabrication of three-dimensional polymeric scaffolds for applications in regenerative medicine, with particular emphasis on fiber-based structures fabricated by electrospinning
- in vitro and in vivo characterization of biomaterials
- fabrication of nonwovens/membranes for biotechnological applications
- synthesis of polymeric biomaterials
- Fabrication of 2D and 3D fibrous structures using electrospinning technique
- Characterization of physico-chemical properties and cytotoxicity of polymeric and composite electrospun fibrous structures